After several weeks out of action due to a broken jaw, Finn Balor is returning to the ring.
It was announced tonight that Balor will be defending his NXT Championship at NXT New Year’s Evil. The special NXT episode is airing live on the USA Network on Wednesday, January 6.
How Balor’s challenger for New Year’s Evil will be decided has yet to be announced. Balor kicked off tonight’s show with an in-ring promo before being interrupted by Pete Dunne, Kyle O’Reilly, and Damian Priest. All three wanted the next shot at the NXT Championship. Balor said he’ll be defending his title at New Year’s Evil, but it’s NXT general manager William Regal’s job to decide who his challenger will be.
Scarlett then confronted Balor on the stage. Balor told Scarlett he had a message for Karrion Kross. Balor said that whenever Kross is ready, Balor’s ready.
Priest asked Scarlett if she usually tells Kross to wait in the car while she handles his business. Priest said if Kross wants to come back and pick a fight, all he has to do is step to Priest like a man. Kross returned later on tonight’s show and attacked Priest.
Dunne was in action on tonight’s NXT and defeated Killian Dain.
Balor broke his jaw in two places while retaining the NXT Championship against O’Reilly at TakeOver 31 this October. Tonight was Balor’s second in-person appearance since undergoing surgery for the injury.
Balor has been NXT Champion since defeating Adam Cole for the then-vacant title this September. The NXT Championship had been relinquished by Kross due to him suffering a separated shoulder during the match where he won the title from Keith Lee at TakeOver XXX in August.