September 29, 2020 | News | No Comments
Women’s healthcare providers are readying for a fight. Refusing to back down from its commitment to women’s choice, Planned Parenthood is now at risk of losing nearly 40 percent of its funding—and is calling for a massive mobilization to resist the attack on women’s health.
Ahead of the official release of House Republicans’ the American Health Care Act (AHCA) on Monday evening—which guts funding for any healthcare organization that “provides for abortions”—Planned Parenthood reportedly rejected an offer from the White House to stop terminating pregnancies in exchange for the group to continue receiving federal funds for other essential services.
“Offering money to Planned Parenthood to abandon our patients and our values is not a deal that we will ever accept,” said Dawn Laguens, executive vice president of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America, according to the New York Times. “Providing critical health care services for millions of American women is non-negotiable.”
To be clear, Laguens added, the $500 million received annually in federal funds “do not pay for abortions,” as that is expressly prohibited by the anti-choice Hyde Amendment. Rather, the organization uses funding from Medicaid and the Title X family planning program to provide essential women’s health services such as birth control, Pap smears, breast exams, and testing for sexually transmitted infections.
The Times reported Monday that an informal offer had been made via “outreach to allies of Planned Parenthood” as a way for President Donald Trump to save face with conservatives while, at the same time, reconciling campaign promises to support women’s preventative care as well as “the views of his daughter Ivanka Trump,” who has “nudge[d] Mr. Trump toward a nuanced view of Planned Parenthood’s work.”
According to the reporting, “In private discussions with people close to Planned Parenthood, White House officials have suggested that there could even be an increase in federal earmarks if the work related to abortion ends.”
In a statement on Tuesday, Planned Parenthood president Cecile Richards doubled-down on the organization’s position. “We are glad that the White House understands that taking away the preventive care Planned Parenthood provides is deeply unpopular and would be a disaster for women’s health care,” she said.
But, Richards added: “We will always stand for women’s ability to make decisions about their health and lives, without interference from politicians in Washington, D.C..”
In renewing the group’s commitment to women’s choice, Planned Parenthood is now at risk of losing a significant portion of its operating budget, as do other providers of women’s reproductive care, thanks to a provision tucked into the GOP’s healthcare plan.
“We will always stand for women’s ability to make decisions about their health and lives, without interference from politicians in Washington, D.C..”
—Cecile Richards, Planned Parenthood
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT