April 5, 2022 | News | No Comments
Dundalk’s Chris Shields.
Source: Mikhail Kireev/INPHO
- Stephen Kenny’s Dundalk once again won plenty of admirers but were beaten 2-1 away to Zenit St Petersburg in the Europa League tonight.
- Joe Schmidt has named Rob Kearney at fullback for Ireland’s clash with New Zealand on Saturday while Garry Ringrose and Joey Carbery could make their international debuts from the bench.
- Six players from Dublin and four from beaten finalists Mayo have been included on the 2016 GAA-GPA All-Star football team.
- It looks like in-form Ireland U21 defender Tommie Hoban has played his last game of the season after the Blackburn Rovers defender dislocated his shoulder in training.
- New Zealand head coach Steve Hansen has named his starting XV for Saturday’s Test while the All Blacks chief has also paid his respects to the late Anthony Foley.
- Waterford United could be set for a cash injection after it emerged the club is discussing a potential takeover with an overseas investor.
- Everton boss Ronald Koeman has reignited his war of words with Martin O’Neill after he called on James McCarthy to withdraw from the Ireland squad.
- Another member of the Olympic Council of Ireland Executive Committee has departed after Ciarán Ó Catháin resigned from his position.
- Mayo footballer Aidan O’Shea is returning to basketball with the Sligo All-Stars after seven years out of the game.
- New signing Rhys Marshall has been named on the Munster bench as Rassie Erasmus makes four changes for their clash against the Ospreys in the Guinness Pro12 tomorrow.
- Ulster are without Paddy Jackson, Darren Cave and Roger Wilson for their tie against Edinburgh tomorrow night.
- Kiwi centre Bundee Aki has returned to the Connacht starting line-up for tomorrow’s fixture against Newport Gwent Dragons.
- Fifa is reportedly set to punish Ireland for wearing a political symbol, which commemorated the 100th anniversary of the Easter Rising, on their football shirts in a March friendly against Switzerland.
Mainz’s fans celebrate a goal against Anderlecht.
Source: Olivier Matthys
- It’s been another miserable night for Jose Mourinho as his Manchester United side fell to a 2-1 Europa League defeat against Fenerbahce.
- West Ham manager Slaven Bilic has hailed Andy Carroll’s bravery after the striker was targeted in an attempted armed robbery.
- Swansea City boss Bob Bradley is reportedly interested in bringing former Spurs and Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov to the Liberty Stadium.
- Former Germany goalkeeper Tim Wiese is preparing for a WWE debut alongside Ireland’s Sheamus in Munich tonight.
- Fullback Leigh Halfpenny will start his first international Test match in 14 months when Wales take on Australia on Saturday.
The Best Thing We Shared
Daryl Horgan proved his class once again tonight with this stunning goal against Zenit St Petersburg. It was just a shame the result didn’t go Dundalk’s way.
Source: Zizoo HdGoal/YouTube
On The Record
Is it arrogant for me to say that it’s just because of me? People are going to say it is, but let’s call a spade a spade: I’m the one this is about.
Bellator star James Gallagher is under no illusions as to how valuable he is to the promotion. Sounds familiar…
Where we were today
Ryan Bailey caught up with Racing 92 out-half Dan Carter today. The former All Black was in Dublin to announce his new role as a brand ambassador for SoftCo, a finance software provider. You’ll be able to see the piece on The42 tomorrow morning.
Source: James Crombie/INPHO
Murray Kinsella and Sean Farrell are soaking up that winning feeling in Chicago and, of course, attending team announcements ahead of Ireland’s Test against New Zealand on Saturday.
Jonathan Sexton with Josh van der Flier at training in Chicago today.
Source: Dan Sheridan/INPHO
The Fixture List
- Three of the Irish provinces are in action in the Guinness Pro12 tomorrow night, minus their Ireland internationals of course — Newport Gwent Dragons v Connacht (7.15pm), Munster v Ospreys (7.35pm) and Edinburgh v Ulster (7.35pm)
- Drogheda United host Wexford Youths in the second leg of their promotion/relegation playoff for a spot in next season’s SSE Airtricity Premier Division. Wexford take a 2-0 lead into the tie.
- In golf, Pádraig Harrington is in action at the Turkish Airlines Open while Seamus Power and Graeme McDowell are in Las Vegas for the Shriners Hospital for Children Open
Moussa Sow’s overhead volley put Fenerbahce 1-0 up against Manchester United in just the second minute tonight. Pick it out.
Source: Fenerbahçe gol/Vine
The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!