Category: News

Home / Category: News

Meghan Markle has been speaking out and standing up for women’s rights from a young age, but the Duchess of Sussex still feels like her work has just begun.

Markle joined a panel for the Queen’s Commonwealth Trust Friday, celebrated as International Women’s Day, where she touched on the importance of calling out inequality.

“If things are wrong and there is a lack of justice, and there is an inequality, then someone needs to say something,” Markle says in a video posted to Kensington Palace’s social channels.

Markle, who is now the Trust’s vice-president, talked about her journey as a feminist — starting at age 11 when she wrote a letter that successfully got a sexist commercial changed.

The duchess has spoken about her younger self’s campaign before, most notably in her speech at the 2015 United Nations Women conference.

Markle said the issue that really stands out to her is the importance of educating girls, the urgency of which has become more evident as she’s travelled to developing countries and seen first-hand the conditions for women and girls.

“For me, what really resonated was the lack of education for girls and how that has a ripple effect for so many things,” she says, adding that when girls are educated, it improves the economy and reduces crimes such as trafficking and child marriage.

“When I look at it in those terms, it would be impossible for me to sit back and not do something about it.”

Every additional year of elementary school a girl attends increases her eventual wages by 10-20 per cent, UN Women reported. It also leaves them less vulnerable to violence.

A child born to a mother who is literate is 50 per cent more likely to survive past the age of five, according to UNESCO. Additionally, if India enrolled one per cent more girls in secondary school, the country’s GDP would rise by $5.5 billion.

Markle’s advocacy for girls’ education and welfare predates her becoming a royal — in 2016, she visited Rwanda with World Vision Canada’s clean water efforts, where she again stressed the need for girls and children to have access to education.

The royals’ relationship to the countries that form the British Commonwealth is complicated by the fact that many view the colonization of these countries by England as a violent disruption to their histories, identities, political structures and economies.

Whether the duchess can effect meaningful change in the Commonwealth through her work with the QCT remains to be seen, but it’s clear she’s determined to try.

With a file from Lisa Yeung

Dangerous Driving, the upcoming arcade racer from Burnout co-creators Fiona Sperry and Alex Ward, will be released on April 9, developer Three Fields Entertainment announced today.

It will be available digitally on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC (via the Epic Games Store) for $30 USD/£25. A physical version, which bundles in Three Fields’ Danger Zone 2, will be available for $40 USD/£30.

Alongside the release date, Three Fields revealed Dangerous Driving will include seven locations with 30 total courses. It’ll also feature unlockable cars and abilities, which can be obtained by racing online against other players or offline against “remorseless” AI.

Dangerous Driving will offer eight different event types, with many taking inspiration from beloved Burnout modes.

“In Dangerous Driving we wanted to return to all of our favorite modes — so you will see some Burnout 1 and Burnout 2 in there like Survival Mode, Pursuit Mode and Boost Chain Races — as well as stuff from B3 and Revenge like Road Rage and Races based around Takedowns,” Ward previously told IGN. “But with every mode where we left off last time is just the beginning — so for example in the Takedown Races we now have persistent wrecks that litter the road which really changes laps 2 and 3.”

For more, be sure to check out IGN’s full Dangerous Driving interview with Ward. You can also read IGN’s review of Danger Zone 2, Three Fields’ 2018 take on Burnout Revenge’s Crash mode.

Jordan is a freelance writer for IGN. Follow him on Twitter @jdsirani.

Beijing has warned the US against selling F-16 fighter jets to Taiwan, urging Washington to respect its sovereignty when it comes to the One China policy, to avoid seriously damaging bilateral relations.

“China resolutely opposes US arms sales to Taiwan, and this position remains consistent and firm,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang told reporters on Friday, after Bloomberg reported that Donald Trump was contemplating selling more than 60 F-16 units to Taipei.

Stressing that arms sales to the island will “seriously damage” the Sino-American ties, Beijing urged the US to “stop arms sales to and military contact with Taiwan.”

Taiwan has become one of the most sensitive issues fueling the US-China spat since US President Donald Trump signaled his support of Taiwan’s president and deepened ties with the island via the Taiwan Travel Act legislation, passed last year.

Whether or not Trump will follow the friendly advice of the Asian giant this time remains to be seen. Bloomberg argues that Trump could potentially use F-16 sales as a bargaining chip in the ongoing trade negotiations. For now, the US administration has allegedly given a “tacit approval” to Taiwan’s request to buy American jets, people familiar with the matter have told Bloomberg, noting that, for the sale to materialize, a formal proposal has to be issued by the State Department and the Pentagon first, before going to Congress for approval.

Like this story?

LAUSANNE, Switzerland — Japan remains ranked No. 1 in the world, as the World Baseball Softball Confederation revealed the updated 2016 standings in the Official WBSC Women’s Softball World Rankings, following a reformatting of the rankings methodology to weigh additional events.

View World Rankings

Four continents (Asia, Europe, the Americas, and Oceania) are represented within the Top 10, while all five global continents are within the Top 25.

Japan held on to the top spot, following a second-place finish at the 2016 Women’s Softball World Championship earlier this year in Surrey, Canada, which boosted the nation’s total ranking points to 3,798.

Winning the gold medal at this year’s Women’s Softball World Championship was not enough for the USA to move up in the rankings, as the U.S. keeps its No. 2 world rank — just 36 points behind Japan.

Canada has risen to a historical high at No. 3 in the world, with 3,042 points, continuing on their momentum of winning the bronze medal at the WBSC flagship Women’s Softball World Championship.

Australia, slipped one position to No. 4, following a 10th place finish in Surrey, while New Zealand jumps up three spots to round out the Top 5 with 2,616 points.

China remains at No. 6 with 2,262 points. No. 7 Puerto Rico enters the Top 10 for the first time, only 66 points behind China. Their bronze medal finish at the Jr. Women’s World Championship helped push them to their highest position to date.

Netherlands remains the highest ranked European nation at the No. 8 post with 1,978 points. Trailing 12 points behind Netherlands, Chinese Taipei drops four spots to No. 9. Mexico elevates their position four spots to round out to the Top 10 with 1,784 points.

Brazil made the biggest jump, advancing seven spots to No. 11 (1,604 points). The top-ranked nation in Africa is No. 23 Botswana with 348 points.

Sixteen nations are also making their first debut in the Softball World Rankings: Philippines, Austria, Greece, Guatemala, Peru, Ecuador, France, Korea, Uganda, Serbia, Ireland, Switzerland, Kenya, Singapore, India, and Israel. This follows a historic ten nations playing in their first women’s world championship this year in Surrey, Canada.

NEW METHODOLOGY

The WBSC Softball World Rankings reflect a four-year cycle with points generated from recent competitions including the WBSC Women’s Softball World Championship (max 1,150 points), and U-19 Women’s Softball World Championship (max 920 points).

The qualifiers for the softball world championships, multi-sport and continental games and championships, and all WBSC sanctioned events involving Softball National Teams will now be granted world points beginning in 2017.

The web-based version and methodology of the WBSC Softball World Rankings can be found at www.wbsc.org/rankings.

— Courtesy of the World Baseball Softball Confederation 

Welcome back to Game Scoop!, IGN’s weekly video game talk show. This week we’re discussing open-world games, recent PS4 recommendations, Darkest Dungeon 2, and more. Watch the video above or download the podcast below.

Download Game Scoop! Episode 518

Or subscribe in iTunes and never miss an episode.

Subscribe to the Game Scoop! YouTube channel and never miss a video.

A former nurse who can smell the “musky odor” of Parkinson’s disease has helped scientists develop a new test that can detect the condition before symptoms appear.

People with a heightened sense of smell have reported a musky odor from patients with Parkinson’s disease, and “super smeller” Joy Milne, 68, from Scotland claims she first noticed the smell on her husband, Les, 12 years before he was diagnosed with the condition.

Milne didn’t learn of her super-smelling talents, until she attended a Parkinson’s support group with her husband and found everyone had the same distinct odor.

Milne mentioned the strange revelation to neurobiologist, Tilo Kunath, who studies Parkinson’s at Edinburgh University.

Kunath tested Milne’s skills by having her sniff a series of t-shirts worn by Parkinson’s patients and healthy people, in which she identified all confirmed cases and one other ‘healthy person’ who she said had the same scent. Eight months later that person was diagnosed with the disease.

Together with Perdita Barran, of the University of Manchester, the pair worked to identify the compounds that make up the distinctive odor and develop their non-invasive screening test for early detection. Their results were published in the journal ACS Central Science.

Barran said early detection is crucial when treating Parkinson’s disease, which can often be hindered by confusion between natural brain digression due to aging, and the neurodegenerative disorder.

Joy Milne (left) and Perdita Barran © University of Manchester

Scientists are now testing the technique on a group of people taking part in a sleep study in Austria after people with rapid eye movement (REM) sleep deprivation disorder were previously found to have a 50 percent risk of developing Parkinson’s in later life.

READ MORE: Not what you had in mind? Brain implant could help with depression, study says

It’s hoped the test could help doctors diagnose and treat the disease at its earliest stage, meaning more patients could avail of experimental drugs that can protect brain cells from being eroded by the disease.

Milne, who says Alzheimer’s also has a vanilla-like smell, and cancer has an earthy odor, is now working with researchers to identify an odor associated with tuberculosis.

Like this story?

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Oklahoma City head softball coach Phil McSpadden was named the 2016 NAIA Softball National Coach of the Year for the ninth overall time and first since 2007, announced by the NAIA national office. This accomplishment comes on the heels of the Stars winning the 2016 NAIA Softball World Series title June 2 with a 5-0 victory over Saint Xavier (Ill.).

The nine NAIA Coach of the Year plaques for McSpadden is the most in NAIA history and correlates with the NAIA-record nine national championship rings.
McSpadden completed his 29th year and stands with 1,545 all-time softball victories, which ranks No. 1 on the all-time college coaching list against four-year schools at any level (NAIA, NCAA). He officially set the all-time coaching wins record during the middle of the 2015 season.

In 2016, McSpadden’s club went 67-3, won the Sooner Athletic Conference regular-season title and finished with the most wins in the NAIA. The 67 wins marked the fifth time in McSpadden’s career the program reached 60-plus victories and was two shy of tying the all-time NAIA single-season record of 69 set during the 1999 campaign.

McSpadden mentored six athletes on the 2016 NAIA All-America First Team, the most of any institution this season. Under his tutelage, the Stars ranked first in the NAIA statistically in total hits (749), runs scored (568), RBIs (491) and pitching ERA (0.860). Individually, pitcher Georgia Wall (2016 NAIA World Series MVP) was No. 1 nationally in ERA (0.470) and total earns runs allowed (13). She was joined on the national leaderboard by NAIA doubles-champion Kyndra Holasek (30) and NAIA runs-queen Kali Pugh (84).

McSpadden is a member of three prestigious Hall of Fames, which include the NAIA, the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) and Oklahoma City University Athletics.

Prior to coming to Oklahoma City in 1988, McSpadden coached at Ponca City and Dewey High Schools in Oklahoma, compiling an impressive 127-40 re¬cord in five years while leading teams at both schools to state tournaments. While at Dewey, his teams won the school’s first three crowns in any sport.

— Courtesy of Chad Waller, NAIA Director of Communications & Sports Information

Algeria’s army chief has called for long-term leader Abdelaziz Bouteflika to be declared unfit to rule. The statement comes after weeks of massive protests against the extension of the president’s fourth term.

We must find a way out of this crisis immediately, within the constitutional framework,” Lt Gen Ahmed Gaed Salah said in a televised speech.

Upper house chairman Abdelkader Bensalah will reportedly be caretaker president for 45 days.

Salah referred to Article 102 of the Algerian constitution which provides for the appointment of the parliament chairman as interim head of state, and organization of a snap election in the event that the president’s health prevents him from properly executing his duties.

Since suffering a severe stroke in 2013, President Bouteflika only moves around in a wheelchair, barely speaks and avoids public appearances.

FILE PHOTO: Algeria’s President, Abdelaziz Bouteflika, in May 2017. © Reuters / Zohra Bensemra

Massive protests against Bouteflika’s fourth term as head of state have been underway across Algeria since mid-February.

The opposition claims the president doesn’t make his own decisions, while people from his inner circle exploit his poor health to rule the country as they please.

Think your friends would be interested?

The dates you can own the Aquaman movie on Blu-ray and digital have been revealed and it turns out there’s a little Shazam! bonus included.

You’ll be able to grab the digital copy of Aquaman on March 5 and if you’re after a physical copy, these versions will be out three weeks later on March 26. The editions will be available in 4K UHD combo packs, Blu-ray combo packs, and a DVD special edition.

All copies of Aquaman are going to include a three-minute preview of the upcoming DC superhero movie Shazam! However, it seems we’ll have to wait until March to see exactly what that entails.

As with most home releases, Aquaman will include a set of special features so fans can get a deeper look behind the scenes. These include looks into the world of Aquaman, some of the training required, creating the sea creatures, scene study breakdowns and other features.

Aquaman grossed over $1 billion at the worldwide box office. Thanks to its success, Warner Bros. doesn’t feel the need to focus on a shared DC universe.

Despite this, the upcoming Shazam film still fits into the DC Extended Universe. Shazam star Zachary Levi is pretty pleased about the whole thing, so much so he’s glad Marvel killed off his MCU character Fandral so he could take on the role.

Hope Corrigan is an Australian freelance writer for IGN. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram.

Yorkdale Mall Shooting Reported In Toronto

April 4, 2019 | News | No Comments

Shoppers panicked as shots rang through Yorkdale Shopping Centre in Toronto, prompting a lockdown and then an evacuation.

“The moment the shots were fired, people panicked, ran and kids were crying as a wall of screaming people made their way for the exits from every direction,” witness Lily Jang told HuffPost Canada.

The mall was “semi busy” when she heard two shots “right by me,” said Jang in a Facebook message.

Jang, who was shopping with her brother, niece and nephew, was right near an exit and able to leave quickly.

‘Thankfully, no one was hit in this’

Police said there was an “altercation” between two groups of men, with at least three people on each side, before the gun was fired.

No injuries were reported, said Toronto police, who are looking for two male suspects in their 20s who fled on foot. The first suspect is described as black and was wearing a black hoodie and blue jeans, while the other is of mixed race and “skinny.”

UPDATE – Sept. 4, 2018: Toronto police arrested and charged Zion Sankar-Beharry, 20, as one of the suspects in the shooting. Sankar-Beharry faces eight charges including two counts of attempted murder.

The weapon involved was a black handgun, police said.

“Thankfully, no one was hit in this,” Supt. Rob Johnson told reporters at a press conference.

Social media posts showed mall workers and shoppers under lockdown, and alarms ringing through the facility.

Toronto’s mayor said he was relieved no one was injured in the mall shooting.

“Whether it is Yorkdale Mall or anywhere else in Toronto, people should not have to worry about gun violence breaking out,” John Tory said in a statement. “There are too many guns available to criminals in the city and I am determined to end that with the help of our police and our government partners.”

The mall was closed for the remainder of Thursday for the police investigation, but the centre tweeted that it was “secure.” Anyone who was evacuated from the mall and left personal belongings was asked to contact security at Yorkdale Shopping Centre.

The mall is Canada’s fifth-biggest when it comes to retail space, and opened in 1964. It is home to high-end stores including Gucci, Chanel and Holt Renfrew.

With files from Alisha Sawhney and The Canadian Press