Category: News

Home / Category: News

Susie Wolff driving ban upheld by British court

November 25, 2019 | News | No Comments

Former Formula 1 test and development driver Susie Wolff has failed in her appeal against a driving ban for speeding.

“I’m not a girl racer, I save my speed for the race track,” Wolff told the court. “It is a hugely embarrassing situation to find myself in

“I’m a professional driver and to be caught speeding and to have my licence taken away for speeding, it would have an effect on my reputation.”

Wolff was originally banned for six months by magistrates in November. She had been recorded doing 35mph in a 30mph zone in June 2015 in the village of East Hanney, Oxfordshire.

At the time the incident occurred, Wolff already had nine points on her license as a result of two previous speeding offences.

The ban had been suspended until the appeal was heard on Friday. Wolff told Oxford Crown Court that losing her licence would affect her charity work.

Wolff was a test driver for Williams F1 between 2012 until 2015. She took part in free practice in the 2014 British Grand Prix – the first woman to be involved in a GP weekend for 22 years.

The 34-year-old decided to leave the sport and start a family with her husband, Mercedes boss Toto Wolff. She awarded an MBE at the end of 2016.

  • Toto and Susie Wolff expecting first child together

As well as working as a commentator for Channel 4’s Formula 1 coverage, Wolff is a brand ambassador for Mercedes around the world.

She has also been undertaking charity work encouraging girls to take part in motor sport. She told the court that a driving ban would impact both roles.

However the Recorder, Sarah Campbell dismissed the appeal and fined Wolff £500 together with £345 in costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

“It may well be an embarrassment as far as her position is concerned. But it may be a salutary lesson to those aware of the facts,” said Campbell.

GALLERY: F1 drivers’ wives and girlfriends

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Hamilton gives new team mate a big thumbs-up

November 25, 2019 | News | No Comments

Lewis Hamilton says he’s getting on better with Valtteri Bottas than any other team mate he’s had in Formula One.

Bottas joined the team just a month ago after Nico Rosberg’s shock retirement at the end of 2016. The Finn was quick in the first pre-season test, ending the week with the fastest time.

“What I so far like about working with Valtteri is that it is all to do with the track – what we do on the circuit – and not outside,” Hamilton told the official Formula One website this week.

“There are no games – there is complete transparency. I like that,” he explained. “I feel we already have a better working relationship than I ever had with any team mate I had before.

“He wants to do the best thing that he can in his first year with the team. With me being here for quite a while now, I want to deliver and make sure that I give as much information so that he will learn.

“Valtteri seems to have settled in quite comfortably already in a short space of time and I know he’s working very hard with all the engineers to acclimatise.

“He’s got a great frame of mind, a lot of positive energy in him just in general. Excited to work with him.

  • Wolff: ‘We know why Hamilton is the best paid driver!’

“We do our talking on the track,” Hamilton added.

Far from being the quiet man of few words that he sometimes appears, Bottas was proving refreshingly different close-up.

“I have learned that he makes his own entertainment,” Hamilton said. “He is very witty and comes out with some very funny things – which you would not really expect from a Finn!”

GALLERY: F1 drivers’ wives and girlfriends

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Click Here: geelong cats guernsey 2019

Click:Doshisha

As U.S. officials tout progress they say occupation forces have brought Afghanistan, people in that country are offering a much more bleak view. According to a new Gallup World Poll, Afghans are expressing record suffering, and have given record-low ratings to their own lives.

The poll, which calculated responses from face-to-face interviews with roughly 1,000 adults, uses the Cantril Self-Anchoring Striving Scale. That metric allows respondents to give a self-assessment of their well-being, using a scale of 0 – 10. Gallup groups the numbers into the following categories: “thriving,” “struggling” or “suffering.”

The poll found that 61 percent of Afghans gave their lives a rating in the suffering category—a figure Gallup says is the highest figure ever recorded for any country since it started the assessment in 2005. It surpasses the record 55 percent Gallup found in Afghanistan last year.

As in the 2013 poll, this year’s results show that zero percent of respondents gave their lives a rating that could be categorized as thriving.

Dissatisfaction with the county’s efforts to deal with the poor have also skyrocketed, the poll shows. In 2008, 32 percent expressed dissatisfaction, but that figure jumped to 86 percent in 2014.

Gallup reports: “It’s difficult to see how Afghans’ life evaluations could get much worse—but the current combination of violence, drug addiction and intractable poverty makes it equally difficult to envision any improvement, at least over the short term. In the meantime, rampant hopelessness among the population makes concerns about the growth and influence of extremist groups in Afghan society as real as ever.”

The new findings come as the U.S. war in Afghanistan continues, despite declarations that combat operations are coming to an end.

Nicholas Haysom, head of the UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan, said last week: “It is civilians who increasingly bear the brunt of this grinding conflict.”

Just two weeks before the 2017 Grand Prix season kicks off in Australia, the second round of pre-season testing gets underway this morning at 9:00 CET at the Circuit de Catalunya, and we’ll be on site with live timing and commentary.

Just follow the  ‘LIVE’ link here.

As we progress through the week, and with just two weeks to go before the lights turn green in Melbourne, teams are likely to ramp up their speed and performance.

While Mercedes appears as the clear favourite to secure the bragging rights for the fastest team of the pre-season, Ferrari and Red Bull will likely also turn it up a notch to give us a better judgment of their true  potential.

Also, check out the driver line-ups for the week .

GALLERY: F1 drivers’ wives and girlfriends

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Haas’ Guenther Steiner believes Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull are already about 1.5 seconds clear of the rest of the 2017 field!

With just two weeks to go before the lights turn green in Melbourne, the top three teams enjoy a clear edge, according to Steiner, although it’s still unclear who will lead the grid in Australia.

The assessment hasn’t taken Steiner by surprise, it’s only a logical outcome based on power and resources.

“Between the top three and the other ones it is between one second and 1.5 seconds I think,” he said.

“It is aero, and we need to work on it. It won’t be for Australia. The big teams will always have more resources to do it, and this is to be expected.

“There is no surprise that Mercedes and Ferrari and Red Bull came out better than everybody else. They have more resources to do more testing and that is what it is.”

  • Haas prepping for huge mid-field battle

The Austrian team manager ax-actually believes the gap could grow as a frantic development pace takes hold among the top contenders.

“It will not get smaller in my opinion.

“But maybe the gains further up you get the smaller they get, so the smaller teams can make bigger gains because they are further behind.”

Steiner is also watching Williams, which could breakout from the chasing pack and make inroads into the top three’s dominance.

“I think the Williams is a little bit better than the big group …. I don’t know about the Renault. We need a few more days and in Australia we find out. It’s getting quite clear.”

Click Here: All Blacks Rugby Jersey

GALLERY: F1 drivers’ wives and girlfriends

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Lautaro Martinez responds to Conte's sex advice

November 25, 2019 | News | No Comments

The Nerazzurri boss warned his players to take it easy in the bedroom, much to the amusement of fans

Inter striker Lautaro Martinez has admitted that Antonio Conte’s recent comments on how his players should carry out sexual intercourse made him laugh, but backed up his coach in asserting that players should not be overexerting themselves outside of football.

Conte recently stated in an interview that his players should be putting in minimal effort when making love to their partners in order to preserve their energy and ensure a full recovery for game days.

Click Here: Aston Villa Shop

“I advise my players to have sex for short periods, with the minimum of effort and use positions where they are under their partners,” the Nerazzurri boss said. “And preferably with their wives, because then you don’t have to put in an exceptional performance.”

Asked whether the former Chelsea boss’ comments had made him laugh, the centre-forward told DAZN: “Yes! We have to continue working hard in training. When we’re at home, though, we have to rest… just like he says!”

Martinez was speaking after netting the opening goal as Inter recorded a convincing 3-0 win over Torino on Saturday, with strike partner Romelu Lukaku also getting on the scoresheet.

Much has been said about Lukaku’s technical skills and ability to thrive at a top club after an ill-fated spell with Manchester United, but the Belgian has hit the ground running since swapping the Premier League for Serie A.

Martinez, meanwhile, believes that his own good form is purely down to having more games and a chance to show his true qualities, while adding that his partnership with Lukaku is also benefiting from having time to absorb and complement each other’s style.

“We are doing a great job. We must continue like this, improving day by day,” the Argentina international said. “Last year, I didn’t play as much as I wanted, I didn’t have time to prove my worth.

“Romelu and I are getting to know each other and we’re getting better and better.”

And while the forward duo were given plenty of praise following their scoring performances against Torino, coach Conte claimed that he was more happy with preserving a clean sheet than dominating the scoreline.

“The thing that makes me happiest is the clean sheet,” he said. “It was a good defensive performance and that is very important because we knew we would score sooner or later. If we can be more hermetically sealed at the back then we’ll be in good shape.”

Inter sit just one point behind league leaders Juventus, who top the Serie A table with 35 points.

The new format will see four Spanish sides travel to the Middle East, with La Liga’s eternal rivals able to face off in the final if they progress

A new four-team format has been finalised for the Supercopa de Espana that will see the competition moved to Saudi Arabia for the next three years, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) has confirmed.

RFEF president Luis Rubiales revealed a proposal to convert the season curtain-raiser into a mini-tournament in February this year.

Last season’s Supercopa – traditionally a two-legged affair played between the winners of La Liga and the Copa del Rey – was the first to be played abroad, as Barcelona beat Sevilla 2-1 in Tangier, Morocco, with the singular match officially classed as a friendly.

But the success of the contest from the RFEF’s perspective proved its viability and it is pushing ahead with the plans having struck an agreement for Saudi Arabia to play host over the next three years, starting in February 2020.

With four teams – the Copa finalists and La Liga’s top two – set to be involved, the RFEF has moved the competition to Spain’s winter in order to “lighten the calendar”, instead of playing it at the start of the season.

Following confirmation of the revamp on Monday, the RFEF also revealed the historic first fixtures, with Real Madrid and Barcelona facing Valencia and Atletico Madrid, respectively, in the semi-finals, teeing up a potential Clasico finale on February 12.

Copa del Rey holders Valencia were particularly vocal in their opposition of the initial plans put forward by the RFEF, while many criticised the governing body for fraternising with a country that has a questionable human rights record.

Click Here: IQOS White

But the RFEF has called the deal an “engine for social change” and confirmed women will be allowed “unrestricted access to the matches” and the launch of a women’s football competition in the region.

RFEF believe the internationalisation of the competition will improve its credibility and subsequently boost Spain’s bid to host the 2030 World Cup.

Media reports have claimed the RFEF stands to bring in €40 million (£34m/$44m) for every season the Supercopa is hosted in Saudi Arabia. Aside from club prize money, the federation pledges to invest all its entire income from the agreement in amateur football.

The Italian media is slamming Ferrari for its low-profile stance this week in Barcelona for the first week of pre-season testing.

The Scuderia obviously learned its lesson from last season when CEO Sergio marchionne made some bold claims over the winter about his team’s expected level of performance only for the team to fall quite short of its own rosy outlook.

As a consequence, Ferrari is holding its cards close to its chest this year, much to the media’s fury.

“Low profile is acceptable,” said La Gazzetta dello Sport’s Luigi Perna, “but not complete silence.

“Journalists are like engineers,” he told the Finnish newspaper Iltalehti.

“We should be able to give feedback to the fans, who have the right to hear the drivers.”

Italy’s La Republicca was even more discontented with Ferrari’s hush policy.

“Starting the season with a news blackout is absurd,” the report declared.

“After the sad living nativity scene of the car launch comes this meaningless news blackout. A low profile asked by Marchionne is one thing, but this carelessness is quite another.”

GALLERY: F1 drivers’ wives and girlfriends

Click Here: Putters

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Formula One Group CEO Chase Carey phoned Baku promoter Arif Rahimov to apologize for negative comments made earlier this year by Liberty Media boss Greg Maffei.

Speaking on the subject of adding new races to Formula 1’s calendar, Maffei  underlined the necessity for the sport to cater to venues which add value, citing the Azerbaijan Grand Prix  as an event which “pays a big race free but does nothing to build the long term brand and help the business.”

Baku’s Rahimov countered the disparaging remarks, saying  Maffei had been ‘ignorant’, a claim supported by F1bos Chase Carey.

“I have spoken to Chase,” explained Rahimov.

“It was about a different topic but this had to be brought up, and we kind of realised that it was not everyone who shared this opinion.

“He [Carey] was apologetic about what happened, he really sounded like he completely disagreed with what had been said.

“He was really upset about the situation and that it was brought to this level. It was good to hear from Chase that he didn’t share the opinion.

“I think we are finished with it, and will just get on and show everyone who has not been to the race that we are doing a great job and it will be a great race.”

  • Six must-know facts about the Bahrain GP

Baku currently has a 10-year contract with F1 which includes a break-off clause whihc can be activated after five years.

“He is really excited about the race,” Rahimov added.

“He really wants to come and see the race, and that he has heard a lot of good things.

“He feels we are a strategic partner to F1, and he really wants to keep the race.

“It was a good talk we had over the phone and it was good to know that not everyone is sharing the opinion of Greg Maffei in F1.”

GALLERY: All the pictures from Friday in Bahrain

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter

Click Here: pandora Bracelets

Lewis Hamilton has apologised to fans for the lack of on-track action on Friday at the Shanghai International Circuit.

And the Mercedes driver said it should be a wake up call to the sport and new owners Liberty to make changes.

“So sorry for all u either watching on TV or here at the track,” he posted on social media on Friday. “We must find a solution to deal with weather issue.”

“Seriously tho, this could actually be a blessing in disguise,” he added. “A chance for new bosses to be proactive & be creative.”

Hamilton has previously proposed reducing the Grand Prix weekend to just two days. That would mean packing more in to the Saturday programme.

“[Saturday] program: 3 practice sessions, qualifying Sunday morning and then race. Who’s down for the switch up?” he tweeted on Friday.

  • China FP2 session abandoned over visibility concerns

Friday saw just 22 minutes of track action in the morning before concerns about the weather led to a red flag. The afternoon session was completely abandoned, because the safety helicopter was put out of service by poor visibility.

“The track was absolutely fine and we could have run all day today with no issue if it weren’t for the clouds,” Hamilton said.

“It’s not good for the fans watching on TV. It’s even worse for all those people in the stands, who have paid money to come out here.

“They’ve barely seen a car on track today, which must be tough for them. We need to work together with the FIA and FOM to find a solution or an alternative plan of some kind when we have circumstances like this in the future.”

The weather is expected to improve for Saturday, but rain will return overnight on Saturday and could be an issue for the Chinese Grand Prix. That’s led to suggestions that the FIA should pack an hour long practice session, qualifying and the race onto Saturday.

However, worldwide TV arrangements mean that’s unlikely to happen at such short notice.

GALLERY: All the pictures from Friday in Shanghai

Keep up to date with all the F1 news via Facebook and Twitter